The Polymer Science and Engineering Division is dedicated to providing society with leading technologies applicable to a wide range of commercially viable polymeric materials, processes and products.
The objective of this group is the practical application of scientific and engineering principles to generate new materials and processing techniques as well as to improve the capabilities of solving technical problems related to the production and use of polymers.
Our core competencies include analysis, modeling, design, synthesis, structural integrity, and performance testing.
Activities range from fundamental aspects of polymer physics, such as analysis, characterization, mechanisms, properties, and rheology, to the utilitarian functions of manufacturing, design and performance engineering.
Over the years, the interests of the group members have grown to include both raw and recycled materials, spanning structural plastics, elastomers, adhesives, specific application polymers, composites, coatings, foams, fibers, and films.
Our expertise spans the spectrum of polymer technology from mixing, extrusion, and basic molding processes to nanoscale structure and multiscale modeling. The strengths lie in multi-component systems, processing operations and mechanical behavior under different stress conditions.
The group is divided in the following subject areas:
- Mechanical properties of polymers
- Processes and Characterization
- Non-Destructive Evaluation
- Recycled Polymers
With more than 20 years of experience in technology transfer, the group of Polymer Science and Engineering has the ability to interpret requirements of companies in the sector and generate work plans that solve the raised problems. The administrative and legal framework is available for the signing of agreements, contracts and / or conventions that regulate the rights and obligations of each party and the confidentiality framework to apply in each case. It offers:
- Interpretation of the requirements of companies and entities in the plastic sector regarding raw materials, processes, products and quality control.
- Analysis and advice for the resolution of problems of local or national industries of a technological nature with polymeric-based material
- Synthesis of polymer-based materials and derived products.
- Characterization of polymeric-based materials by different techniques available in the laboratory.
- Modeling and simulation of polymer processing.
- Microstructural, morphological and mechanical characterization of processed plastic parts.
- Characterization of materials by micro-Raman spectroscopy.
- Use of advanced Raman microscopy techniques: SERS, depth profiling, lateral profiling.
- Selection and calibration of constitutive models for plastic deformation.
- Determination of suitable parameters for FEM simulation.
- Combined flow, micromechanical and structural simulation.
- Test on specimens and components.
- Measurements of surface properties.
- Nano and Micro indentation.
- Determination of the behavior to Fracture and simulation.
- Evaluation of the behavior in service in the long and short term. Life service prediction.
- Training courses according to the specific requirements of the interested party.